Monday 7 October 2013

SHOTLIST

Today, I went through my storyboards and picked out all of the individual and unique shots that appeared. I wrote them all down in a large shotlist for each scene.

I did this, because the storyboard shows me the sequencing of the shots that I imagine in my head. However, this sequencing is subject to change when it comes to the editing process. While it is helpful in creating the tone and pacing in my head, it doesn't give me an idea of all the individual angles I need to shoot, as the storyboard reuses some.

The shot list is a comprehensive list of ALL of the shots I plan to shoot while on location, not in chronological order, but in order of size, so I can wrap my head around what order to shoot them in while filming. A lot of the shots involve leaving the camera to play throughout the action, whereas some of them are very specific and are only filming a few seconds of footage.

 Overall, this leaves me with a lot of editing options and a lot of footage to sort through in the final editing stages. Leaving the camera running throughout gives me more creative control over the final product. If I stuck religiously to the storyboard I would only film the action that was within each shot in the storyboard. This would leave me with no options when it comes to editing, because I would have only shot the action so that it would only link together the way I storyboarded it.

As I said, with the shot list, I can set up the camera to film the entirety of the action, rather than what is shown on the storyboard, and check off each shot as I go along. Although it does mean I have a lot of footage, which will take a longer time to edit, it means that if I feel that I'd rather use a wide shot at one particular time rather than the close up, I can do that without worrying about whether I had actually shot the wide angle.

Soon, I will also upload my storyboards and might also upload shotlist, but I might not, as it's a long boring list of shots with nothing interesting on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment