Friday 5 July 2013

Short Film Ideas

I'm currently brainstorming ideas for my A2 short film. I've been thinking for a while for what to do, having written some ideas already for narratives that heavily feature dialogue, but I would rather do something more abstract. The short five minute format is best suited for abstract short films that are visually striking and force the audience to draw their own conclusions. I've tried writing a short film already for the practical, but I feel that the quality might be effected by the short length, whereas in an abstract short film I can focus on creating interest solely from the cinematography.

I recently watched Stanley Kubrik's A Clockwork Orange again and while brainstorming I feel slightly inspired by the visuals and the character from the film. I think I would like to make a psychological thriller/horror short featuring a character with an interest in violence. The cinematography would represent the narrative, which is a direct representation of the sinister complexity of his thoughts and brain. I obviously have to speak to my teacher about how far I'm allowed to actually go with it, but I think it would be great and interesting to be able to play around with lighting and editing to create a horrifying yet interesting short.

I also want to take inspiration from the directing style of Nicolas Winding Refn. He is my favourite director and creates some of the most visually impressive films I've seen, Drive is my personal favourite. His use of high contrast and saturation, as well as lighting, always produces a beautiful product. I think I want to try and replicate his style of cinematography in a homage way, not a copying way.


Drive, directed by Nicolas Winding Refn

No comments:

Post a Comment